Sunday, November 16, 2014

I saw a Manatee today

Man you would think that with all the manatee warnings signs, speed control, channel control those critters would be coming out of the woodwork. Mostly NOT. I have hardly ever seen a Manatee.

Today we ran from New Smyrna Beach to Titusville. I thought we would go further say to Cocoa then on to Dragon Point tomorrow to make a stand on anchor against the horrible weather forecast for tomorrow night and Tuesday. However -- today they changed the forecast to have more wind and thunderstorms. Wind expected now is 25 - 30kts instead of 20 - 25. Doesn't sound like much of a change but it is. At 30kts boats are known to break loose from their anchorages. That and the high Tuesday will only be 52. That is COLD in an unheated boat in the rain and on the hook.

We, or actually I, chickened out and decided to go into the Titusville Marina today to wait out this weather. It's time to change the oil in the main engine and we can plug our heat pump in.

Today was an unbelievable mild day with winds around 6 kts. Glass smooth across the Mosquito Lagoon, and temps in the low 80s this afternoon. A BIG change coming tomorrow.

We made it to the marina just before 1pm and tied up in a slip. It was not pretty because they put us in a slip for a much longer boat and we had trouble getting our lines on the outboard pilings. Fortunately with such mild winds no damage occurred.

Just as I was stepping off the boat to adjust lines I saw this big cloud of brown stuff come up from under the boat. It was a HUGE Manatee. Ohh man it was cool.

After checking in I changed the engine oil while it was hot and so glad I did. I noticed the alternator belt had a chunk of rubber out of it!! Oh boy it was going to let go anytime now.

The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing and planning our bike assault on Titusville tomorrow morning. No storms expected till the afternoon. Then all hell breaks loose for about 36 hours.

I'm glad I'm tied to a dock for a few days now.

No comments: