Friday, February 13, 2009

Must be Friday the 13th


Yep – must be Friday the thirteenth!!! Nothing bad has happened today (yet) but just weird. Like this morning when I came up to the cockpit to make my weather observations for the net we had reduced visibility. First time that has happened in the Bahamas!! It was a mixture of fog and smoke from brush fires on Great Abaco Island. Really stunk of smoke too. However it did make for a nice sunrise picture in Marsh Harbour.

We decided, given the weather forecast, that we would do laundry here then go this afternoon and anchor off Man-O-War for the flea market tomorrow then head around the Whale Cay Passage and into Green Turtle Cay Sunday morning ahead of the next strong front. Today a cold front was passing but they said we would hardly notice it.

Well we got to the laundry and that went well except the machines will not accept any Bahamian money – only U.S. Quarters!! How about that. Wasn’t too bad -- $2.50 to wash and $2.00 to dry. Good commercial quality machines and FAST.

Then on the way back to the boat – dark clouds on the horizon. Hmmm maybe a passing shower.. No it rained and misted and stayed overcast all afternoon even this evening. Well we didn’t go to MOW today although several boats did and had problems anchoring. Everyone seemed to know of that cable I hooked when I was over there but no one told me. Its not on the most recent charts either but because the water was so still folks could see it in the water.. It was ROUGH when I anchored over there..

Any way we will enjoy another day and evening here in Marsh Harbour – especially since so many boats left for MOW today and we will decide on a plan tomorrow.

I have a feeling of trepidation since the weather forecast was off by so much today. My plan called for pretty close accounting of wind speeds for my plan. Like when I go to GTC tomorrow I will have to anchor off the Island and then enter White Sound in the morning on Sunday. There is no protection for strong S and SW winds off the Island but I could handle less than 10.

Decisions decisions…

No comments: