Sunday, February 8, 2009

Blog from the World Down Under tonight

Brrrr – I’m cold today!! Not from the air temps but from the water.

It has been tooo long a time to check the bottom of the boat, propeller, and zincs. So this morning I did it. WOW – water temps were 65 degrees. That is COLD by an standard. Wore a 3.2 mm wet suit – full suit but it was still chilly. The worse part was trapping water in the hood on my ears – they ached from the cold!!

Actually the inspection turned out very good. The prop is still free from any barnacles or growth. The zincs are fine, and the hull had a pretty good crop of slime on it. I brushed a lot of it off but could not do the keel. I didn’t have enough weight on the weight belt so couldn’t sink easily. I’ll get it later when the water warms up. The biggie was the inspection of prop, zincs and rudder.

After putting on several layers of clothes and sitting in direct sunlight out of the wind for 20 minutes I felt fine. For some reason I was quite dizzy or off balance when I first came out of the water. When I climbed the ladder I complained to Karen that the boat was moving a lot and she said – it wasn’t.

After cleaning everything and hanging to dry we went to town which is really Nippers here. We met the crews from Celtic Cross and Muskokie Moon (both very fine Canadians) and enjoyed their company. Later we all retired to Grabbers at the beach. Hmmm might as well have a Grabber drink there. While there the crew from Born to Cruise – Jill and Wayne showed up. They had come around the Whale Cay Passage this afternoon!! Not an easy trip today.

They had gone on a short walk on the beach by Nippers and had found a sealed bottle with a message in it.. What LUCK.. We were all so envious. They hadn’t retrieved the message yet so we are all waiting to find what they have. Hopefully I’ll post it tomorrow.

I suspect we will go to Treasure Cay tomorrow for water and provisions and then stage for our Northerly trek around the whale cay next week.

No comments: