Monday, March 2, 2009

Weathering Cold front passage in Treasure Cay

Fortunately the cold front did not pack much of a punch when it got here – no strong squalls just a little rain. The holding in Treasure Cay is very good although one large trawler kept resetting an anchor in the wee hours this morning. I was awakened about 1 am by the sound of a bow thruster near my head. Then I heard the low rumble of a diesel just outside. A quick look and sure enough a trawler that had been anchored behind us was trying to re-anchor next to us – not doing very well watching him drag back on the anchor. I watched awhile and felt sorry for him because it is tough to anchor in a crowed anchorage and to do it the dark and rain – just miserable.

He moved off and tried another location and when his motor sounded distant I went back to bed. Ten minutes later he was back trying next to me again. It was bad. Finally he moved out in the channel and dropped the hook. I suspect he worked at it for more than an hour. At one point I saw he was using a Danforth style anchor and was clearing grass from it before trying again. I don’t think the Danforth style is appropriate her in sand and rock. Need something with a point that you can bury.

It has been a moderate blow all day but no really big gusts. Probably 14 – 17 with an infrequent gust to 20. The temps have turned chilly – low to mid 60s so we are just relaxing on board and Karen made some bread today – ohhh smells good.

We made one trip to town to mail some letters to the USA – 1st class postage is .65 cents to USA. Hit the grocery store for a minor provisioning run and get ready to go to the lesser-visited areas here in the hub of the Abacos. Plan to be back to Fishers Bay by Friday morning so we can go to the Barefootman concert in the afternoon.

As a long shot – if the weather is right then head across Whale Cay passage to Green Turtle Cay and spend the remainder of March up in that area planning to head back to the USA late March or early April . Gosh I can’t believe I said that. Scared myself. Ohhh well still plenty of time to enjoy the Abacos yet.

No comments: