Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Now this Cold front was COLD!!

Brrrrr - coldest day of the year I believe. It was 55 degrees this morning when I got up!!

What a night - dead calm.. Great contrast to all the wind that came yesterday. The weather forecast looks great for the rest of the week although I should have thought about that wind direction a little more before making our plans today.

We left about 9 am with the intention of running the whole length of the hub of Abacos - Treasure Cay to near Little Harbour. We intended to go to Tiloo Pond for the night and do some sea glass hunting. We had a nice light wind aft of us leaving Treasure Cay a little more west in it than I expected but it was supposed to go North then NE. Once we got down past Boat Harbour near Witch Point the wind was still W-NW at 300 degrees and increasing. Lots of white caps and heading into Tiloo Pond -
thus we will be on a lee shore with the swell coming at us. Not good. We diverted to the Turret under Tavern Cay on Tiloo Cay but found it very inhospitable. Bouncing and rocks all around. We thought about Snake Cay but if the wind does go N to NE then that will be bad and the holding is not good there.

Thus I swallowed my pride and backed up 6 miles and anchored in the NW corner near Boat Harbour. Quite sheltered in this wind. Unfortunately it was now 3pm and most of the day has gone by. Ohh well at least it should be a quiet night.

There were already 4 boats here so plenty of room to anchor. I dropped the CQR into the sand and grass and it did not connect. Ohh well fool me once shame on me fool me twice shame on you. I retrieved the anchor then dropped the 22lb Delta and it bit immediately.. Ohhh well we are secure for the night.

I thought internet would be good here because of the proximity to Boat Harbour but it is not. Karen is not impressed. The only good thing is we have an excellent view of the Out Island Doctor's Castle in the air from here. The book is great and I recommend it to all sailors coming to the Bahamas - "Out Island Doctor" by Evans Cottman.

Now to rethink the plans for this week!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you love sea glass, you might be interested in joining Sea Glass Lovers, the largest online community dedicated to sea glass lovers around the world.

We share sea glass photos, locations to collect, crafts, great finds and much much more!