Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The wind HOWLED!!

WOW – I spoke too soon yesterday. The wind really piped up after 12:30 am -- why always the middle of the night??

It blew strong with gusts to 40 knots till around 2am and then moderated a bit. Today it was nice in the morning then strong in the afternoon but nothing terrible. We heard of no boats that came to grief during the night. Surprisingly it has not yet clocked to the NORTH – just West South-West.

It was cold here today high of only 62 and will plummet to 57 tonight. The radio is full of cautions to bring your pets and plants in tonight – I’m not kidding!!.


We had a nice day in the bright sunshine. Long pants and sweatshirts was all that was needed. Took a couple of walks on the beach and down the beach road for a ways. I saw BTC was working on a phone cable splice box. The cable had blown down into a ditch sometime ago but it was still usable so they worked on it there with no attempt to mount a new pole – Ohhh the Bahamas.

Karen spent a long morning on the beach looking for Sea Glass and found a bunch. I went to the top of the lighthouse to check things out. The wind was strong – almost took your breath away. The Sea of Abaco had white caps but nothing crazy. I saw just one sailboat with sails up and moving this morning in the 20-25 kt wind. Later we heard several boats had staged at Lynards Cay for an early morning departure to Spanish Wells tomorrow. Several more plan to stage tomorrow and leave on Friday. We simply say “Bon Voyage”.

Spent the afternoon reading some and we had the crew from Celtic Cross over for sundowners – Ian, Sharon, Gail, and Rick. A great little visit. I met Ian and Sharon in 2006 when they were here for the first time like me on their boat Pendragon IV. Great folks.

Later we brought the dinghy aboard in preparation of an early departure tomorrow morning. Got to work that tide thing to get out of here.

We plan to just go to Marsh Harbour for the day to reprovision, get water, and maybe fuel – then spend the night on the hook and head to Little harbour on Friday.

Hey it is a plan .

I’ve got to remember to never brag about my water usage with a Canadian cruiser. I said we had used about 100 gallons of water in about 11 days and thought that was great. They had used less than 90 gallons in the same period amongst 4 of them. Boy am I a water waster!! Hmmm maybe it is not me. When on Luna Sea by myself I used about 40 gallons in a week. Noo they still have me beat!!

No comments: