Saturday, January 24, 2009

Lotus Eaters

Sorry no pictures today - no internet connection here.

Remember the story of the Lotus Eaters?? Well I have found a modern version in Little Harbour. At first I thought it was because of Pete's big Birthday party but no these folks have their names engraved in their dilapidated Adirondack chairs which all overlook the bar. Everyone of them had that glazed gaze and it was only 11:30am!! I suspect these folks are here every day. I thought Little Harbour was only reachable via boat but as the festivities wore on - cars and trucks arrived. Little Harbour
is part of the mainland Abaco. Then it became interesting. We saw several familiar faces - hmmm where did we see them before?? Ohh yes Nippers on Great Guana and the JIB room from Marsh Harbour. I wonder what the average life expectancy is of a beach bar alcoholic?? Not too many familiar cruiser faces but then most of the cruisers we have met in the last 6 weeks have all moved on south. A few remain - I guess we need to meet some new ones now - but not here.

Ohh they had a smoked wild pig roast and I had one of those for lunch. Karen had the ginger tuna plate. Not bad for a beach bar but the wait was just TERRIBLE…

Little Harbour was a disappointment. Number one it is difficult to enter in deep draft sail boat. The area around it is most inhospitable. The NE breeze has set up a mean combination of swells and chop that have waves crashing around the entrance…

You guessed it - I chickened out bringing g my boat in today. We decided to stay anchor off Lynyard Cay and dinghy 2.4 miles to Little Harbour.

That ride was a white knuckle ride. Karen did not enjoy it - I did not enjoy it. What can I say - Pete's Pub is okay but not worth a lot of effort to get there. The beach combing was also bad there.

Now on the plus side I got a hair cut today. Karen said she would do my hair if we found a nice beach. Well the beach on Lynyard is nice but small. So we went in this morning and I found an old milk crate to sit on and she cut my hair. Looks good too now and I've left some fine bird nest making material on the beach.

The problems I complained about yesterday are fixed now. I disassembled the intake valve on the head with out removing the pump. Inspected all parts, found nothing amiss, reassembled and it is working now!! Ohh well I'll take credit anyway.

I made a minor adjustment on the "pilot needle valve" on the carburetor of the dinghy motor and it is running better. Note - this is the only adjustable screw on the carburetor.

What to do next?? I don't know - we haven't had such a long string of nice days. I guess we will work that out tonight. It is time to leave this place. There is some great snorkel areas here but the water is 66 degrees and the air temps are barely braking 70 degrees so I'll wait awhile.

No comments: