Monday, January 19, 2009

Weather Weather Weather

All anyone wants to talk about today is the weather. A pair of cold fronts coming today and tomorrow with the one tomorrow bringing gale conditions. Lots of chatter on the radio of boats all seeking safe harbour - marinas or moorings.

We feel pretty good here in Hopetown. The wind has been blowing 20+ since noon on the Sea of Abaco but just feels very breezy in here. The wind generator is loving it and is actually keeping ahead of our power usage today. Not that we are using that much. The internet has been in and out - mostly out all day. Tonight's blog will be via the SSB radio.

We had a nice easy morning then late morning we went to check out the Laundry Facilities at the Light House Marina here. Not bad. Four washers and 5 dryers and it's $4 a load to wash and $4 to dry. The machines did a pretty good job.

About mid afternoon I checked out the liquor stores for a case of Corona. The access here (store to dinghy) is the shortest anywhere in the Bahamas. At the Liquor store in the village all premium beers is $48 a case but no Corona. At the Light House Liquor store it is $52 but a short walk from store to dinghy. I don't really need any yet since I'm still on my Florida Stock but I bought a case anyway. Hell if Nortel can go bankrupt because of poor management why can't I go "bankrupt" buying beer?!!
Just kidding.

The rest of the afternoon has been spent sipping a couple of cold ones and watching the performance of my riding sail in moderate winds. So far pretty good - I do not get broadside to the wind but I still dance. Tomorrow is STRONG wind will be the full story.

Today 5 SUNSAIL charter boats and one Moorings Charter with a flogging Genoa came in and docked. I wonder if the charter base told them to come back or it was their decision - to morrow should be pretty nasty wind wise.

Tonight we are going out on the town. Over to Captains Jack for Happy Hour, Bingo, and dinner. Don't tell me I don't treat my wife to a good time.

Sorry no pics when using SSB but maybe tomorrows wind event will bring some picture opportunity. You know I'll be on the balcony of the Lighthouse in 40 kt gusts if they will let me!!

No comments: