Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Plans are a Changing


Plans Change.. looking at the revised weather forecast this morning I decided to remain in Hopetown for the next pair of strong cold fronts coming through Monday and Tuesday. The front on Tuesday has actually brought a GALE WARNING for the area. That does not happen often in the Bahamas in winter.

Since the strong winds we encountered this week were barely felt here in Hopetown I suspect this is an excellent place to ride out Gale Force winds. Unfortunately I told our Mooring guy we were leaving today and he promised the mooring to another boat. Fortunately there were still a few available so we took one from “Lucky Strike” the green ones.

Then we just enjoyed a beautiful day. We went on a long dinghy ride both in and out of the harbour. We found the sailboat FOYA anchored just outside and talked them a bit. They are much more adventuresome than I. They were heading down to Snake Cay for the evening then look for a hidehole down there for the blow tomorrow and Tuesday. Sorry to say – not me.. I’ll cling to a mooring here.

We went back to the Lighthouse today and took some great pictures of the marvelous waters around here in bright sunlight. Enjoyed a dinghy race just outside the harbour and walked a few more lanes in Hopetown.

This is a beautiful place full of i9nteresting things that won’t cost you an arm and a leg to enjoy – highly recommend it.

For you sailors -- let me tell you why I decided against Little Harbour today. The entrance to Little Harbour is 3.5 feet at MLW. The cruising guide says you can find 7 feet at high tide. Well I considered that then I have to give credit to Jim on Smiles that you really need to look at the tide data for the particular tide. Well the high tide I would have used today was listed as only 1.9 feet above datum or (3.5 + 1.9 = 5.4 feet) I draw 5.3 feet. If I didn’t hit the entrance on the rising tide at high tide I would not get in – only .1 foot to play with. Then the next High tide wouldn’t be till 2am tomorrow. Tomorrow the winds will all ready be strong by morning. Thus there was no safety margin and a nearly 4 hour ride back to Marsh for Safe Harbour and arriving in the dark tonight – thus the change of plans. That and I do not know how protected the harbour is there – I heard it is good but I know it is good here. Thus the decision.

Enjoy the Pics from today.




No comments: