Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Part of Cruising is Material Handling


Just a nice relaxing – almost day in Marsh Harbour. I say almost because on a boat there are always things to attend to or it becomes a derelict in very short order.

For instance the freezer box has become one giant ice cube imbedded with meat, fish and cans of orange juice with a bag of drink ice on top. Very difficult to get anything out. So I defrosted it today. Now that takes awhile because you cannot force the removal of things without damaging either the food or the freezer.

The ice around the bottom of the freezer kept me from accessing some beer I had stored below while in Florida. It was time to recycle the beer. So I pulled up the floor and found a real cache of Corona, Becks, and Fosters. Little available here. I replaced with Kalik and Corona.

Once all that was done I searched for the Yamaha dealer to get a new fuel filter canister. Mine had developed a leak – probably occurred during the rough handling while the carburetor was rebuilt a couple of weeks ago. There is a large distributor just to east of the port (next to the police station) and accessible from the water. Just tie up next to the police boat.

After that we went to town and bought some more provisions. We expect to leave here soon and the prices albeit high are the lowest in the area. Ohhh I got a free 2009 Calendar with my case of Kalik beer -- Karen won’t let me hang it in the boat though… Just a bunch of young girls in Bikinis and Junkanoo style makeup… Hmmm Maybe I’ll post one of the months.. Enjoy.

Bad weather coming this weekend so we need top fuel up and water up and find a nice hide-hole. Hopefully Hopetown (pun intended) or if it is full we will head to Treasure Cay. Now Marsh is okay in a blow but I would like something with fewer anchored boats around. Currently only 35 boats here which is not much. Years ago I remember a day when there were 92 boats here!!

No comments: