Monday, January 26, 2009

Back on the Air again!!

Sorry no internet connection for pictures tonight..

I'm back in the weather reporting business. Today I reported in and contributed to the Basra Weather net at 7am on 4003 USB on the SSB radio. If you want to hear my voice - tune me in. This is a volunteer group that reports current weather conditions from anchorages all across the Bahamas. You might find it interesting. My call sign is the boat name - Temptation. We report every day.

In and Out, up and down, In and out, up and down that was the theme today - no I'm not talking about the tail I had last night although it was delicious. Those lobsters were very fresh.

The day started easy enough just listening to the various radio nets and contributing to the Basra Weather Net. There was a report on the WRCC of a 53 foot Pearson aground on the Southern Shoal at Great Sale Cay looking for some horsepower to get him off - sorry no takers heard. I suggested Foxtown Shell on channel 16 and if they had a phone to call Spanish Town Marina - lots of Sport fishing boats there and the closest Marina.

No after the nets we decided - considering the forecast of light and variable winds today - to go up to near Baker's Bay and beach comb on Spoil Cay. Well when got there it was blowing 11 to 15 and a 2 foot wind chop. Anchoring there would have put the cay on my lee so we decided to go into Baker's bay instead. Only one boat already there. Dropped the hook easily and went into the beach. Now this is a HIGH DOLLAR development and you can walk the beach but only to the high water mark - Bahamian
Law - if you step across it a 4 wheeler will come up to you and ask that you observe the high water mark. Polite but insistent. These water front properties they are selling start at 1 million dollars and none have been developed since I first went there in 2006.

Any way the beach is soft and nice but devoid of shells and sea glass. Back on the boat it was still till rough to comfortably go to Spoil Cay so we packed up the dinghy and motor and headed to Man-O-War Cay and anchored near Dickey's Cay. Hey if you see greenish yellow water believe it is shallow!! The chart did not show shallow water here but when I entered the green yellow and it dropped to 6 feet - it was a quick 180 degree turn.. I did not bump though.

We anchored further out and launched the dinghy again. Damn - that new fuel fitting I put on the fuel line is leaking - I'm going to have to replace it again and I brought only one new one. They are $3.99 in the US and ohhh $14.50 here!! Ohh well it needs to be done.

We went to the ocean side beach here at Man-O-War and again a beautiful beach but devoid of shells and sea glass. I suspect the major reef off of here is filtering all that stuff out.

By 3:30pm today I was bushed so we will spend the night here on the hook and do the town tomorrow - another 1.5 mile dinghy ride but fairly calm all the way. No surge here surprisingly and well protected form the N-E-S wind.

I was disappointed in Man-O-War in 2006 but we will see how it stacks up tomorrow.

No comments: