Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Call Me Cable Guy!!

Weee doggies – caught my first cable today!! I’ve heard other boaters talking about it but nothing compares to the feeling you have when you pull that anchor up and just as it breaks the water you are going “what the hell!!!” Am I going to be electrocuted?! How do I disengage?? WOW there is this continuous about 3 in diameter cable caught in the anchor. The casing didn’t look a braided or anything so I quickly dumped the anchor back in the water, let the boat drift a little and pulled it up – voila!! No cable. Boy I guess I was LUCKY!!

Other than that I would recommend anchoring off Man-O-War Cay for a visit. The anchorage is very good (hmmm then again maybe that cable had something to do with it), and the access to town is easy. Man-O-War is a very neat and quaint village – I highly recommend a visit.

Now on the down side today the wind was blustering up to 20 kts this morning – was not forecast yesterday. Easily blowing 16 or better. Thus dinghy riding was a bit bumpy. We decided since the forecast had changed from Light And Variable to 15 – 20 and clocking from E to SE to S this would not be a good place for another night so we packed it all in and headed for Marsh Harbour. I would have gone to Treasure Cay or Hope Town but the high tide was early this morning. Any way we can do some light provisioning, spend a couple of days on the hook there and then leave Thursday for Hopetown or Treasure to weather the next forecast strong cold front coming in Friday and Saturday. Hey why don’t you northerns keep them there??? Well you do keep the cold but all that wind – jeeesh.

We got to do a little motor sailing to Marsh and arrived about noon. Gosh only about 30 boats here so it was an easy anchor. Boy this place has the reputation for a “Velcro bottom” and it is deserved. Stuck great – first time.

Spent the afternoon doing a little grocery and beverage shopping then relaxed.

I found a couple of boats from the Christmas crossing here which was unexpected. Froya is here working on a prop shaft issue – he had to abort early his crossing to Eluthera a few days ago. Flash 2 is here but I haven’t talked to them yet. I thought they left with the Civil Twilight contingent to Eluthera last Friday. I’ll have to have a chat.

Even though it was really windy on the Sea of Abacos it is pretty comfortable here in Marsh today. It is a nice harbour however the city has become a bit depressing. Not much going on, lots of “hanger’s on” at the dinghy dock looking for tips. I can’t put my finger on it but just a bit depressing – I guess the soft economy is making itself present here too.

Ohh well – make a beer run and a Buck-a-book run tomorrow and we will be out of here too – for a little while.

No comments: