Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Finally Warm in St Augustine, FL


Nice and easy day today… We had a short 3 hour run from our anchorage behind Pine Island to the St Augustine South Anchorage. That anchorage proved good holding – I had my doubts because of the way the boat hung to the anchor but it was fine. Difficult to get it out this morning. We had some strong gusts from 180 degrees from how we anchored but the big ol claw did not lose its bite.

It would have been 2 ½ hours except I had a despicable bridge tender. Just as I announced I had the bridge in sight and called the bridge he said he was only allowing the 2 waiting north bound vessels through. I told him I was there and would enter immediately on their departure. No as soon as the second boat was through he dropped the lift on me – what a BOZO!! I had to wait another 30 minutes to get through.

The anchorage was pretty full but I found an outlying g spot and took it. I wanted to wait for a tide change band swing through all points to check my swing room with the other boats. Darn took till 3pm but all was fine. I needed to check it since there are thunderstorms in the forecast which will move us through all points.

Ohhh today was the first day since Wrightsville Beach where we could spend the whole day with bare arms. Since Wrightsville it has been cool to cold and we have had to layer up the clothing to keep warm. It is supposed to hit 80 degrees here tomorrow but then again – could be thunderstorms too. There is no free ride.

We went to town and got oriented. Didn’t do much other than view the Flagler College campus and the Lightner Museum. Looked at a few shops then back to the boat and got rained on!! Ohh I like our full enclosure. It is so comfortable in a rain storm.

To dock the dinghy here you need to register with the marina and pay $10. It is good for a day (noon to noon) and gives you access to the showers and laundry.

We plan to stay tomorrow and do some sight seeing. Maybe meet some cruisers. There is a large concentration of cruisers here but most are just moving on after a day.

No comments: