Monday, November 10, 2008

Another Day at Fernandina Beach


Just another day at the docks. Wasn’t all relaxation though – I changed the oil in the main engine today and did another load of Laundry – did 2 loads last night – well with a little help.. I don’t care how careful you are or what measures you take – changing engine oil in a boat is always a messy job. Anyway after 100+ hours – she is clean again.

I finally met a “real cruiser” last night or I should say he met us. He just came up and started a conversation with Kourtney and I in the cockpit of Temptation. Hmmm maybe it was Kourtney that really attracted his attention rather than me. A young man named Robert Doty living aboard a 38 foot Hans Christian here at the Fernandina Harbor marina. The boat is called Candide.

Robert has found that elusive mix of being able to live aboard and work at the same time and occasionally take a fine cruise. He had a 30 minute video he had composed of a trip to Cuba some 7 years ago. Done very well. After watching his video I’m more inclined than ever to try and make that trip someday. I certainly hope they open free access to Cuba soon so I can get there before the developers get there. Such a shame to be blocked from visiting one of our closest foreign neighbors because of stupid political reasons.

I’ve attached 2 photos tonight to give a feeling for the “2 faces” of Fernandina Beach – an industrial and an Elysian field feel.

Got to run – the ladies are calling and want to go out to dinner AGAIN tonight. This will end soon. A cruisers budget doesn’t support too many nights like this. Well excuse me I must confess last nights dinner at a Robert suggested Chinese restaurant called Jade’s Bistro was excellent and on Kourtney – thank you Kourtney – it was great.

Enjoy..

Ohhh Robert has a cool web site www.SleepingWithOars.com

No comments: