Monday, October 20, 2008

Just relax'in in Georgetown Waterfront



Ohh last night was great for stargazing. I got to refresh my mind with some of the fall constellations and identified about 8 of the navigation stars.

An easy day. We were just 7 miles from Georgetown and it was COLD -- 42 degrees. We waited till around 8:30am to start moving. That full enclosure she makes days like this quite comfortable.

The anchor came up easily and clean. No work here. We got under way and made the Georgetown Waterfront about 10am. We cruised the whole waterfront then went back out to the entrance. The boat Dots Way we saw in Wrightsville was here.. We anchored between her and the red/green mark. Surprisingly the hook stuck the first time.

We dropped the dinghy and prepared to go to town. We went in around 11am and went to the book store so Karen could buy some fancy thank you cards for our friends and then we looked for a bakery. About the only thing we are low on is fresh bread. We found the Kudzu Bakery on King Street. Not much of a bakery but did have some fresh French bread. They had lots of wine and cheese and preserves.

We then went to the River Room Restaurant for lunch. Looking for some authentic low country southern cooking. Sorry a disappointment. The waitress asked for our drink order and I said “sweet tea”. She said all they had was unsweetened tea. I changed that order to water and knew the authentic southern was GONE.

We had the Cajun Gumbo which was pretty good but I had my heart set on Shrimp and grits.

Looking at the weather and confirming with the NWS and Chris Parker there appears to be some nasty weather coming up the east coast for Friday Saturday. Thus we will want to be in port then. I decided to spend two days here on the hook then head to Charleston arriving Thursday noon time. We will stay till Sunday.

Thus I need to make a bit of a grocery run here. The closest grocery store is just 2 miles away but I want to use the bike. So I retuned to the boat for the folding bike. ON return to the waterfront I assemble it and bid Karen good bye. She is off to a yarn shop and a museum and I’m headed to Piggly Wiggly. I don’t get to far. I stop at the Clock tower to wait traffic and I have to stop. I’m wearing those over your glasses sun glasses which distort your peripheral vision (rationalizing) and I stick my left foot out to catch a curb to wait the traffic. Well the curb was a good 4 inches further than my foot reach so over I went. I learned a long time ago how to fall and not get hurt. It works but is very unglamorous in style. At any rate it happened in front of a crowd of people and several moving vehicles so I stopped traffic and heard a lot of gasps. I was instantly up and said “I’m okay” and very red faced peddled away.

Georgetown is a quaint nice town but not friendly to pedestrians or bicyclists so beware!!

Bought all I could fit in my backpack and back to the boat. Happy to be off the road.

Spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing and watching the comings and goings of a few cruisers. Made reservations in Charleston for Thursday through Sunday and will need to kill 2 days here on the hook.

Tomorrow we will visit the museum and go to a very cool Low country hardware store and outdoor clothier over near the Georgetown Landing Marina.

Looks like it’s salmon cakes for dinner tonight aboard.

Ohhh the weather is perfect. Very cool almost cold with a light North 5kt breeze which is supposed to hold through Tuesday. Otherwise I would not remain here since the holding is poor.



No comments: