Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Just another day in Georgetown, SC


First off I need to thank John from ‘Ching Ching’ for the fine red table wine he gave me – Excellent --- Cantina Zaccagnini.

Ahhh another day in Georgetown. With the mild conditions here I’m comfortably anchored on the waterfront, however if any weather threatened I would be in a marina here. The holding is poor.

Today we took a long dinghy ride over to Georgetown Landing Marina and I bought 3.5 gallons of gas for the dinghy – it is all it would take. My ulterior motive was to ask to leave the dinghy there awhile so we could go shopping at Schoefield Provision company a short walk away. It is actually a very nice and well stocked hardware store that also specializes in high end performance outdoor wear like North Face, etc. at discount prices.

We didn’t buy much but we enjoyed the shopping. Then a long ride back to the boat for lunch.

Afterwards we visited the Rice Museum and took the tour. Very interesting and I highly recommend it. I had no idea that in 1850 Georgetown was the leading exporter of rice in the world!! There was 40,000 acres under cultivation back then – none today though.

Then we went to the fish house nearby and bought some fresh Trigger fish filets for dinner tonight and just had to have some of those fresh SC Shrimps for shrimp cocktails… Ummmm good.

I also came across an antique NCR Cash register. I just had to have its picture.

You probably didn’t know this but I was one of the pioneers in developing the electronic POS registers used today when I worked for NCR back in 1974 – 1976. I wrote software for the printer and CRT drivers and specialized in memory tests for the then very new and untried dynamic RAM memory. Ahh a walk down memory lane briefly.




Looking forward to another quiet night here on the waterfront and tomorrow we will head to near Charleston but anchor in one of the creeks so we can enter Charleston Harbor Thursday morning.

No comments: