Saturday, October 25, 2008

Cruise what you got!!







We had a surprise last night. About 7pm I receive a phone call from the dock master telling me that the porters were here and would someone be aboard to let them take the luggage!! I looked at Karen and said “Are you leaving me?? Wait you don’t have any luggage!”. They had me confused with another Temptation here – a mega yacht!! I hope they don’t mix our bills tomorrow!!





WOW – what a night at the dock!! It was rolly in here all afternoon and it rained all day. We watched the radar and could see the end of the rain coming in about 2 hours. At 9:00pm the wind had clocked to the North and about 4 kts. It was getting downright comfortable here. We went to bed a little before 10 pm. About 11 pm I was awakened by sharp movements from the boat. It was pouring a torrential rain and the wind was howling. I checked the direction and it had clocked to ESE or right back where it was on our unsheltered quarter. It was rocking here -- very uncomfortable. I had 6 bumpers between me and the dock and they were getting worked hard to keep me off. It was raining and blowing so hard I even had some water blow in from under a hatch – not much but it annoyed me. Finally by midnight it had nearly stopped raining and the wind had died and backed to the north. It was slowly quieting down.

Looking at the statistics today there was 6 inches of rain down by 6pm yesterday and then from around 9pm till midnight it rained another 3 inches!! Charleston saw a lot of flooding last night. This was an unusual event for them. Chris called it right when he said this would be a “doozy” of a storm.

Early this morning I was surveying the boat and the dock when an older bearded fellow came in with a ragged tired old canoe with an electric trolling motor. He had been on anchor last night. He said “that was some storm”, I agreed, then he said “the canoe sunk and I had raise it this morning sop I could come in”. Now that is an indomitable spirit – wish I had taken a picture of him in that canoe.

Today we just putz around and made a couple of trips to town on the shuttle for more provisioning and did a couple more loads of laundry. . It will be awhile before provisioning will be this easy again.

Today the photo theme is “cruise what you got”. I’ve got a lone cruiser sailing into the sunset of a small sailboat and a couple of pictures of mega yachts at the dock here in Charleston. The one of “Chevy Toy” is an example of no matter how much money you have it still doesn’t buy good taste. The owner is the local Chevy dealer -- Hey you have got to sell a lot of cars at $1 over invoice to buy that boat!!

<

No comments: