Tuesday, September 4, 2007

August 19, 2007 DESTINATION: Minim Creek to anchor


Buck made his way to the boat early this morning. We all – minus Kourtney and Stephen – had a fine leisurely breakfast at the Marina Restaurant. They excel at breakfast at this place. We had taken everything Karen and Andy would need to the truck before entering the restaurant to avoid another long walk back to the boat.

After breakfast we said our goodbyes and Karen and Andy left to pickup Kourtney and Stephen for the long trip home. We would miss Kourtney as crew.

Buck and I made it back to the boat just as a very big catamaran came and crash-landed – ouch -- on the dock directly in front of me. Ohhh man. No boat in front of me all weekend and now this just minutes before leaving!! Fortunately with the help of the current I was able to easily navigate away from the dock and around his WIDE boat.

We had a nice run across the harbour. Not much wind or wave action this morning. We had to hold up before crossing the centerline of the harbour as a large container ship was making its way to sea.

We got caught at the first Swing bridge as you leave Charleston which only opens on the hour – had to wait 50 minutes for it to open!! We then had just a long run up to Minim creek with lots of small boat traffic today. We anchored easily and then – disaster!! Well not quite that bad. I started the generator and it ran for about 2 minutes than wilted and died. It would not restart. Arggggh. I tried bleeding it under these hot conditions but no luck. Ohhh it was a hot night and the buggiest anchorage we have been in this entire trip. Could not stay up in the cockpit. During the night I stuck my head out the companion way a couple of times and was completely engulfed in a cloud of mosquitoes – I didn’t do that a third time.

It was a long hot night – my cabin fan died entirely – and I was bothered that the generator would not run. That and the fresh water system was still acting up Grrrrr. Probably the low point of the trip tonight.

No comments: