Tuesday, September 4, 2007

August 12, 2007 Finally Underway


Destination – Dragon Point near Melbourne, FL

Everyone is leaving today. Karen and Stephen are driving home. Kourtney, Buck, and I will deliver Temptation home – eventually, but every journey must start with a first step.

Karen and Stephen finally left about 8:30am. I was eager to go and I hope my impatience did not show. We tried to leave at 8:45am but a problem right away!! I had started the engine and before shoving off I noticed that there was no charging voltage on the batteries – Uh Oh!! I tried calling Al but no answer. I thought about this awhile then remembered that this high output alternator needs a certain higher RPM before starting to charge. We revved the engine to 1800 and had charging current.

We were able to leave the tight enclose of the slip uneventfully. Big boats all around. We had no problem winding the private channel to the ICW. We had an easy motoring to Dragon Point to anchor --- very light traffic for a Sunday. Anchoring went well, then we all went for a swim -- it was HOT!! Boy that felt good.

We fixed steaks on the Magma Grill after first having to fix it. The regulator would not work but I remembered that Al said there was a new one in the spares drawer – what a guy. Once it was replaced the grill worked fine however it has only half the complement of briquettes that it should.

It was a fine night and we thought we would rough it with the AC. We tried to put the screens in the ports but they do not fit very well – real cumbersome. Hopefully there is a simple trick to this – I’ll need to read a manual.

We were whipped so we all turned in around 9:30pm. I slept in the main salon under the cabin fan – it failed after a couple of hours – ohh it was a hot sticky night.

No comments: