Wednesday, November 9, 2016

A couple of slices of humble pie

Well my election prognostication yesterday was way off. What can I say -- I'm no worse than all the pundits that were FLOORED by the results. Enough said.

Today we had to work the tide to get through Jekyll Creek. Low was at 10 am so we wanted to hit it around 11am on the rising tide. Thus we tried to leave at 10am since it would take about 1.5 hours to reach it. When we were ready to go I called the marina to get a hand to leave the slip. Everything hit at that time and we had to wait nearly 30 minutes before a dock hand came and they were harried. I had already taken off a couple of lines and ask that they just hold my bow line till I left the slip so I wouldn't swing into the boat next to me. We started out and suddenly my aft swung to port and the bow went towards the boat next to me. They cleated the line to stop the swing and I came forward to straighten out. We tried again and it was WORSE!! Then they noticed I still had the bow line on the starboard side. Me bad - they bad. They took that off and it was an easy exit but I was mortified for not seeing that issue before it became an issue. I still feel bad.

We hit Jekyll Creek about an hour and half past low tide and it was rising. I had mostly 9 and 10 feet of water except near G19 when it dropped to 5.3 feet! I draw 5.2'.

Got through and continued to fight the current all the way to Red 34 out in the ocean and made the turn to Cumberland Island. Just as I passed the red mark the water dropped to 11' then up to 50'. Ahhh no more shallow water till Fernandina now and we finally had a favorable current to push us along on our 40 mile trek today. We held 7+kts for almost 2 hours.

Arrived at the Cumberland Island anchorage only to see yellow do not cross tape on the docks and a PARK CLOSED sign. Hurricane damage had shut it down. Grrrrrrr.

We will spend a nice evening here along with a dozen sailboats and 6 trawlers. Then it's on to Pine Island Anchorage tomorrow and have to pass more shallow water in the Amelia River. Low tide is 9:30am so we will leave here around 9am to enter the Amelia River around 10:30am. Then a long slog to Pine Island.

We enter Florida tomorrow. Right now we are just 3 miles from the Florida boarder. Ya Hoo!

No comments: