Saturday, January 17, 2015

It's all about eating today

Today was the first annual Heritage day/Farmer's Market here in Treasure Cay.

We had a load of laundry to do so we were over at the main green plaza at 9:30 and dropped our laundry off at the "self Service" laundry. The lady that runs it is more than happy to load your clothes in the washer and dryer when available so essentially you drop it off and come back a few hours later. Great service and just $4 a load.

We went to the Heritage day celebration but it hadn't officially started yet. It was running from 10am till 3:00 pm.

Bought a few groceries and back on the boat till 11:30pm. Then we went back and cruised the Heritage day celebration and it was nice. Not huge with only about 20 vendors but the pig picking was the big draw. We didn't have any since our friends Buck and Vickie raved about ribs at the Bakery/luncheon shop. We did buy some limes at only 3 for a dollar.

We picked the laundry up and bought some tomatoes then back on the boat we fixed BLTs ummmmm good.

I had read that Kurt Conch Salad was going to be there but we didn't see him early on. So around 2pm I went back and found him and he made up a batch right in front of me. I suggested that I would compare his to Hollywood George's in Marsh Harbour. He told me there would be no comparison -- his was the BEST. He even gave me a sample before filling a container for me. He is right -- he is the BEST. He built the salad out of all natural ingredients. He sliced up oranges and limes, and onions, and tomatoes and mixed it all together. Added some salt and special seasoning and it was GREAT... I'm hooked now. Unfortunately he only does this routinely on Green Turtle Cay on Fridays.. Will have to go back.

Hollywood George uses fresh limes and onions but uses orange juice out of a can or box -- not fresh.

There is probably more differences but I didn't catch it but to my taste -- Kurt now has he crown for the Conch Salad King!!

Back to the bakery luncheonette at 3:45 for our ribs we ordered earlier and much to our chagrin they only had one order left -- kind of over sold it they said. However she did offer me a lamb meal for the same price. I took it... It was great. I did get one of Karen's ribs and it was great too.

Lesson learned here is -- go early mon it's the Bahamas.

No comments: