Friday, January 16, 2015

Winter has caught up with us!!

Ohhh it is a miserable winters day in the Abacos. It started with an occasional shower this morning. The wind is howling from the North (15 - 20 kts) and the temp is down to 69 degrees tonight. Ohhh I've got my long sleeve shirt and slippers on tonight. Still holding out on wearing the long pants.

Karen says I'm a fashion faux pas with swim suit and a fleece Columbia jacket on. My feet are cold so I'm wearing the venerable fleece slippers too tonight.

We have spent the day reading books and going to the grocery store here for some ham cold cuts and a few other things. You don't need to buy much to blow $42.00.

Several boats have moved on and there are only 10 here in the anchorage tonight. I guess Treasure Cay just doesn't get the fanfare of other places in the Abacos. Tomorrow is the first Abaco Heritage day here and they promise a farmers market with lots of crafts. Good thing because they don't grow much here other than coconuts. We will pickup a few tomorrow -- literally since they just litter the ground -- and whack them open with my freshly sharpened machete. I hope I wont have to be medi vac'd out after that tomorrow -- hee hee.

Treasure Cay is a great place to wait out weather. Even in winds to 25 kts it is easy to get off the boat and into town. The grocery is just a 4 minute walk away as well as the Laundromat.

Now the Laundromat is typical Bahamain. We too enough for 2 loads there yesterday and the laundress said sorry no water. They shut it off with no ETA. We went back at noon and she expected it on in 20 minutes. We left the bags and checked back at 2:30 pm and one load had just finished washing and the second was going in. At 4pm -- closing time -- one had finished drying and the other was still going. We got out around 4:30pm and all for $16 for 2 loads. I tipped her $4 since it wasn't her fault the water was off and she stayed open past 4pm.

Hey Mon it's the Bahamas and I did have fresh jamies last night.

No comments: