Monday, October 13, 2014

We Be SNOW BIRDS!!!

WOW -- finally underway on our big Bahamas Cruise of 2014/2015.

Greetings Land Lubbers -- we are no longer one of you.. I hope you like this Blog.

Ohh the preparations have been non stop. Obstacles popped up every day. You have got to love it or it would never happen.

We left the marina at 7:30 and took all the dock lines -- no return..

No wind and an easy exit. The boat was very sluggish and slow reacting -- we are loaded to a inch of the water line -- normally 4 inches and there is slime on the bottom. I'll dive on the boat and scrub the bottom and change the Zincs at Wrightsville beach. The water is fairly clean and good visibility there.

Quiet on the Neuse until about 9am when a very thick sea fog came in. Visibility was down to less than 50 feet!! No problem we ran on instruments. My museum piece Garmin GPS (Garmin 48) at the forefront. Andy told me he saw my everyday GPS in a display of "Historical" GPS units at the Smithsonian this last summer.

When we approached the Ferry Crossing I turned on the Radar but it was not working -- hell worked 3 weeks ago..

The NC Ferries don't run AIS so I couldn't see them. At one mile I hailed the Ferry and asked if he saw me on his radar or AIS receiver -- unh huh -- I have an AIS transponder on board now..

He saw me ok. Said he was approaching the dock and no ferries would be leaving until 10:00 so I had 30 minutes to get across the crossing.. A piece of cake and then the fog lifted.

Nice run down Adams Creek and minimal hassle through the Turning Basin. We had a nice ride to Spooner's Creek and surprisingly we are the first boat on anchor here this afternoon at 3pm.

The Rocna anchor dropped backwards but still set immediately.. Got to love that anchor. The real test will be in 70 MPH winds in a storm -- probably this Wednesday. I think we will weather the storms at Mile Hammock Bay anchorage.

Heck it is 83 degrees here today and time for a well deserved Sun Shower.

No comments: