Saturday, October 18, 2014

BuBu - what's up!

We had a really nice ride from Mile Hammock Bay to Wrightsville Beach yesterday. The trip around the New River Inlet was uneventful. The lowest water was 9 feet at 2 hours before low tide. Once around the inlet the markers start over at 2.

The current was against us for about 2 hours then we had a favorable current most of the way to Wrightsville. Around marker 99 though we had some real "skinny water. Green can buoys near the red side and obvious sand encroaching from the Red. Ohh but I'm ahead of myself.

As we were approaching this area a sailboat called BuBu was slowly and painfully approaching and trying to pass on my starboard side. HE was probably a half k not faster than us. Finally I got fed up and was approaching an inlet where I was between the inlet and BuBu and the red marker. Not a good p,lace so I slowed down to idle and let him pass. We go back up to cruising speed and not more than a couple of minutes later BuBu suddenly slows down. I'm fast gaining on him and I don't see anything real unusual except those 2 can buoys on the red side. I get on channel 16 and I exclaim the usually boat call sign and question and it comes out "BuBu - what's up!" Everybody had a life. Sounded like dialogue from a cartoon.

We made the bridges easily but hit Figure Eight Island bridge on the half hour. Wrightsville only opens on the hour and we can't make it in 30 minutes so we half to kill 90 minutes now. So we just drifted down on Wrightsville - a whole pack of boats.

While going down there and near the bridge I start to play with the radio and hail Jim. I get him on the line and start talking just as my depth alarm goes off and I bump the bottom -- soft mud and I get off easily. But due to my exclamation while transmitting -- Jim knows it too. Ohh how embarrassing.

Wrightsville anchorage is pretty crowded. We find a spot near Jim and Barb on the south side of Motts Channel entrance buoys. The new-ol Rockna just dug in on the first try -- I am pleased.

First I half to troubleshoot and fix the fresh water system. The pump is running but no water -- tanks have plenty. I check the filter and sure enough at its entrance there is a pack of white crystals from the tank blocking it. Clean it out and the water is flowing easily again.

We get ready and head to Roberts Grocery. Unfortunately we find it partially empty and limited pickings -- it's being remodeled.

Karen goes for a walk and I head to the Motts Seafood store for some fresh fish for dinner. Found some fine Grouper and a pound of fresh shrimp. Good eating tonight.

After dinner we went to the Thompson's and played Farkle. I'm pleased to say I won all three games!! They be looking for revenge tonight.

We plan to stay until Monday then it's off to the Cape Fear River.

Today we just play at the beach and on the boat.

No comments: