Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Expect the Unexpected

Today dawned nicely. I was up early to check the weather reports. Today would be blustery but manageable but tonight they expected strong thunderstorms and lots of rain tomorrow.

We planned on stopping at Mile Hammock Bay in Camp LeJeune which is good holding and somewhat sheltered but usually crowded. Not a good place to weather some storms.

While I was contemplating what to do I noticed we were near low tide and I wanted to know how much water was under me. I turned on the instruments and the depth sounder did not come online --- ohhh crap.

I knew I needed to dive on the boat and change some shaft zincs soon so today seemed like the perfect time now. I dove first on the depth sounder transducer and sure enough there was a mass of stuff on it. I scrapped that off and it started to work. I then changed the prop zinc (underwater now) and that went well. I had to fin my way against the incoming current to screw the 3 allen screws in. Visibility was not good. I then scrub a lot of the hull from the water but could not get down to the keel because of visibility. Over all the hull was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Ohh a little excitement while changing the zinc. A weird looking worm like creature kept rising above one of the prop fins to look at me. Kinda looked like a leech. I didn't have gloves on so I didn't shoo it away. I had to go up for a missing screw and when I returned it had left. Karen freaked when I told her about it.

Done by 11:30am and whipped. We decided to stay here to weather the storms tonight and tomorrow. Should be on the move again Thursday.

Jim and Barb on Skat just anchored near us so we will have some company tonight and tomorrow then on to Mile Hammock Bay unless the depth sounder acts up again.

It comes up but takes about 40 seconds. I don't remember it taking that long in the past. All we can do is watch it. If it is bad then we have to haul out to get it replaced.. Ohhh I don't want to do that.

Time to fix dinner.. Have a great evening.

No comments: