Thursday, April 9, 2009

Easy day in Titusville

Last night was really nice on the hook. We had a beautiful full moon and clear sky. There were some folks on the beach setting off some fireworks which looked really cool in the moonlight although being RANK AMATEURS some of the fireworks took real erratic paths. I think one chased a couple of them on the berm.

We had a mild evening and left about 8am. It was a nice easy run of about 30 miles to Titusville and we anchored by 1pm. After a quick lunch I ruined the nice day by trying to work on the dinghy motor.

I took the carburetor off the engine and stripped it down to its components and cleaned all passages with spray carburetor cleaner. I reassembled it and - this is the hubris - put away the tools - then tried to start it. Ohhh man it did not want to start. Actually acted like the cylinders were full of gas and would not crank!! I checked the plugs and they were wet. There was also some gas in the water.

I took the carburetor back off and examined the fuel pump. I had marked it before taking off so I couldn't get it back together wrong --- WRONG!! One gasket was flipped 180 degrees. I reassembled and tried again. It fired up but ran no better than it did before I started. Darn. I hate it when that happens!!

We cleaned boat and got ready to host the Canadian contingent tonight. WE have the whole group coming over at 4:30pm today to trade stories, laugh at my dinghy engine, and plan the next couple of days.

It should be a great time and looking forward to the near full moon rising over the Vehicle Assemble Building at Cape Canaveral which is visible from this anchorage.

Got to run.

No comments: