Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Society Life in HopeTown



Yes it was good to be on a secure mooring last night. Just as always at 2:45am I was jostled awake by heavy rain and strong gusty winds. Fortunately the worst passed in about 20 minutes then just sporadic showers until early morning.

Now today the wind settled down for awhile but has been increasing this afternoon as the second cold front passes in the next 4 – 6 hours. Hey – keep these things up north!!

I went to the Library to return the book I borrowed yesterday and mentioned to the volunteer librarian – apparently a different one every day – that there was a nice section in there with nice photos of HopeTown. She was not much interested. Then I pointed to the terrible shape the book was in and that I found some used copies online at very inexpensive prices. I asked for a mailing address of the library and offered to procure a copy of this book plus the 2 I was looking for and donating them to the library when I returned home. I was flabbergasted when she said “please do not send any books. We have too many as it is”. I was speechless. She was culling some books out and said she had found several from the 70s that she was going to throw away. Ohh boy this one was from 1949 and looks horrible – I guess I know it’s future – too bad.

Well anyway to get some exercise I wandered the town a bit and took today’s interesting pictures. I need to ask someone about this “Burial Society”?!!

The Sailing club is very active here. They have races every week weather permitting and a cruising boat race every couple of weeks. Entry is available to everyone. You do not need to be a club member to race and the entries are FREE.. Now that is an enthusiastic sailing club.

Well time to hunker down for the next cold front – due probably in the wee hours once again.

These fronts are called “cold front” but they really only depress the temps less than 10 degrees. It’s the strong wind that accompanies them that is problematical.

No comments: