Friday, February 27, 2009

JoJo has got his GROOVE back!!

Yep -- got my “groove” back.. Once one has problems with a sailing skill it takes time and effort to regain the confidence. I had so much trouble with that CQR at Fishers Bay the other day I was beginning to wonder if it would ever set again..

Well we have some nasty weather coming in Sunday and Monday and the wind direction will be uncomfortable in Marsh Harbour so we decided Treasure cay is our place and we can have fun on the beach and just relax there for a few days. Plus we need some more books and their library is GREAT..

Thus we pulled up anchor this morning and the Delta was not too bad to retrieve and store – first time I had done that with that anchor and we had a nice easy motor sail to Treasure Cay across the Sea of Abaco. We hit the entrance just 1.5 hours after high tide and had plenty of water to get in. Anchorage was not too crowded when we got here – only nine boats so I picked an easy spot and dropped the CQR. We backed up and I tested it a couple of times while laying out 70 feet of chain. Then the chain stiffened –-- moment of truth – and damn – nearly jerked me off my feet it set so quickly and so firmly. Even Wayne on Born to Cruise was surprised to see me have to catch my balance when it set. We slowly pulled back on it and ran the engine up to 1800 RPM in reverse and it held just fine. Ahhhh I feel better now.,

We just plan a couple of lazy days here, weather the next strong cold front then head possible down to Tiloo Cay for shelling and glass hunting. Rumor has it that at low tide the sand dollars and curly shells are plentiful here so we will check that out tomorrow.

Time to relax in the cockpit with my all chain rode out.. Ohh yes my rope to chain splice worked fine on the Delta. No signs of stretch or chafe and it was tested pretty well with those 20 kt winds at Fishers Bay.

Two other successes. The dinghy leak is now fixed – no air needed after 2 days and the errant current readings on house battery 2 are gone. It is behaving very well after cleaning and tightening the cables and monitor sense lines to the battery. I love these no cost fixes.

No comments: