Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Anchoring INSANITY!!


Today my CQR FAILED me!! It was anchoring insanity here at Fishers Bay on Great Guana Cay. Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome!

I talked Celtic Cross and Born to Cruise to join us here tonight for the Wednesday cruisers pot luck at Grabbers. In the past it was great and we have heard good things about it this year so – we need to try it.

We left Mangoes Marina this morning – easily and had a bit of a lumpy motor sail to Great Guana Cay. Not too bad wind 10 –15. Then just as we rounded the point to head in and bring the Genoa down it gusted up to 22 kts and held. Ohhh it was not nice bringing that Genoa in all that wind. It did not let up either – mayb down to 18.

Finally the sail was stored and I went to one of my favorite (just used it twice) anchor spots and dropped the CQR. Hmmm didn’t hold. Pulled it and tried again. Still no luck. Then again – no dice. We moved to another location and tried again – no luck. Ian on Celtic Cross came over in the dinghy and found a sandy spot – twice no luck. Ohhh it had been nearly an hour of attempts now!!! One more time – no good!!.

Hmmm what to do. I’ve never seen it this bad before. Hell everyone else got it to stick on one try!!! Ian insisted I use my 22 lb Delta anchor. I’ve never used it and it has a rope to chain splice I did and never tested under conditions. Dropped it – held right away!! I laid down 60 feet of chain and 30 feet of line. Looks amateurish with all that scope out but I want to sleep tonight – fat chance ehhh. When you have a failure like this it will be awhile before the confidence returns.

Well after a couple of therapeutic beers and some lunch I made my world famous deviled eggs for the pot luck tonight. Hopefully it will be GREAT. The wind is laying down and the tide will work with us to get us on and off the dock here at Fisher’s Bay.

Not sure about the Internet since I anchored far away from my usual spot but if I have it I’ll include a picture of the CQR – still in the bow roller tonight – with the sand blasted polished edges.

No comments: