Thursday, December 18, 2008

Rarin' to GO!!


We are now staged for a departure to the Bahamas. We went and fueled up, watered up and pumped out in anticipation of leaving for the Bahamas either tomorrow or Saturday morning. Since I began preparations for this trip today – I think that will satisfy the Friday superstitious folks – me included.

The departure was not how you say – smooth. A sailboat had anchored near me yesterday and as we pulled the hook up today I was rushed in my cleaning of the chain because we were drifting near that boat – unfortunately several feet of mud incased links went into the chain locker – more about that later.

Fuel price was a nice surprise -- $2.40 a gallon at Old Cove Marina. I took on 33 gallons. That is what I burned in 16 days of generator operation at Vero Beach mooring field, a day and half trip to North Lake Worth, then 8 days at North Lake Worth running the generator from 2 – 3 hours a day. What is that? -- 33 gallons for 24 days – not bad.

The anchorage south of the Inlet is very nice. Large and very clear water. When I dropped the hook here as usual the chain played out quickly. When that patch of mud in-cased links was reached it just sprayed mud straight up between my legs – I was straddling the chain winch – and drew a line up my shirt and right across my face depositing a BIG dollop of mud on the tip of my nose. Ohh YUCK!! Karen got a laugh after that. After setting the hoop I dropped another 40 feet of chain into the clear water just to clean them. The bottom here is nice sand.

The anchorage here just south of the Lake Worth Inlet has seen a steady stream of boats coming in and staging. Both Rachel and Diva are here. I spoke with them. Diva wants to leave at midnight tomorrow night and Rachel wants to leave at noon till 4pm tomorrow. I was in the 4pm crowd but now I’m considering Diva’s plan – decisions decisions. How to best use this weather window and maximize the calmest times of crossing. Then again I don’t really want to run non-stop for 30 hours – I get a little cranky when I miss my sleep!!

Today is another fine weather day. Just blowing 10 - 15 kts form the East. Partly cloudy and warm – high 79 degrees low 67 this morning.

The boat seemed a little sluggish on the 6 mile run here today so once the hook was down I dove in and examined the propeller – clean as a whistle. The rudder has some grass like substance growing out if its hinge so I scrapped that out. The basic hull looked pretty good with just a bit of slime on it. I guess I just want to go fast!!

Ohhh the water here near the inlet is quite clean and clear with maybe 15 feet visibility. Out of curiosity I swam over the anchor and I could see that the old claw had pulled completely into the sand with just the barest of shank visible at 1800 RPMs in reverse.

Tonight we will relax and put a few more things away in case of some rough water tomorrow and we will reconnoiter the lights near shore in case we do leave in the dark from here.

This could be the last BLOG update via the Verizon broadband card.

The pictures tonight are a wide-angle via of the anchorage here and the big ol gambling ship that comes in and leaves about every 6 hours. What a waste of resources!!! To be legal they have to out 3 miles then they can gamble. I don’t understand it.

2 comments:

catsmeow said...

Safe travels. Will be following you. Calling for 15 inches of snow here tonight. Previous 4 snowfalls have averaged 4 to 6 inches. The big one is on its way. Wishing I was with you and not buried in the snow. Have fun.

Chappell said...

Smooth Seas and Fair Winds for your voyage!

I would loved to have seen you following the mud bath! Neighbors probably thought you had done the over 50 pass gas routine that had backfired on you!

Got the electrical work done...now fighting with a water leak from the "old" tank. I am hoping I merely over filled it. I have ducted a fan into the space where the tank hides and hope it will dry out the over flow.

Enjoy your trip across....

Cheers,

Ralph