Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Got the fever -- probably a little early though.
The crossing window looks very good for Friday late, Saturday, and Sunday. Decisions decisions though – go just to West End and hold a couple of days or go with the crowd non-stop to Green Turtle Cay (that’s about 30 hours). It will depend on the latest weather forecast.
I started preparations today. Found the Jack lines and tethers and the Inflatable jackets and harnesses are already at the ready. I made up a new anchor snubber line today – featured in the picture gallery – note that fine eye splice – I did that – not purchased.
The boats keep coming in to anchor here too – currently 61 boats. It will be terrible at the dinghy landing tomorrow. Probably very crowded at the local marinas on Friday as everyone fuels and waters up for a crossing.
I think we will do a final provisioning run in the morning and then head to a local marina for fuel water and pump out. Then down to the staging area in Lake Worth just South of the Inlet.
Tomorrow will be busy so blog may be late. The decision for a Friday vs. Saturday crossing won’t be made until late Friday morning. Thus a couple of good blog entries yet.
Once we cross I will have to provide updates via the SSB radio. Unfortunately it is limited to text only so no pictures until I find an internet connection.
There might be an issue with the SSB update so if the Blog page does not update then drop me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll add you to a list of recipients that can receive the updates via an email via SSB. Hopefully that won’t be necessary.
Today has been a day of focusing on the crossing. Checking charts, refreshing my memory on possible tracks, verifying the SSB, Airmail, and voice contacts are fine – checked into the Maritime Service Net this afternoon. Did some experimenting to determine the best freqs and times to send position reports.
Ohhh while we cross, and I’ll let you know when that will be – check our position reports. I’ll send intermediate reports as we cross the Gulf Stream into the Bahamas.