Monday, November 17, 2008

Finally entering Central Florida -- TITUSVILLE


Just another day of ticking off the miles. The lead picture is what it's like to sail on a day like today without a full enclosure. We are in our T-shirts looking for ventilation!!

The waters around New Smyrna Beach have a reputation for shoals and we found one to 8 feet just passed R34 but no other problems after that. We saw a fire boat practicing with his high powered nozzle and that was cool. After that it was just a long day keeping the boat between the marks down the Mosquito Lagoon, Haul over canal, and the Indian River to Titusville.

We are anchored out front in mild conditions this afternoon. I have a reservation at the marina for tomorrow morning to weather the next cold front – and this is a great place to ride bicycles (Liquor store 1.5 miles away, CVS ½ mile, and the great SPACE PARK ½ mile away. Well maybe not in that order.

Ohh on the VHF I kept hearing a boat hailing “Sea Island Girl” on 16 – no response. I could tell they had already passed the bascule bridge here so I called “Sea Island Girl” on 9 (many times I switch to 9 to hail a bridge and don’t switch back to 16) and found it was the very Robert Wilson I had suspected. He took care of the call on 16 and then we chatted. He is heading for Vero Beach and we will meet there this weekend. Mark will remember this guy and his wife Carolyn from the IP38 Gypsy Common. Thanks for introducing me to these folks Mark!

The rest of the afternoon has been light maintenance of adding 12 gallons of diesel from the deck jugs to the tank. The Marina here is doing maintenance and has no fuel. I’ll have enough to reach Vero now. I also investigated why my steering has suddenly become stiff again. Haven’t uncovered the root cause yet but that will probably remain until Vero too. I also filled the alcohol heater this afternoon – I suspect I’ll need it in the morning AGAIN!! When will this cold weather end!?

We expect to stop at Vero Beach for a week and celebrate Thanksgiving there with some cruisers.

I need a buddy boat!!! I can’t believe how alone I feel with no buddy boat even though Karen is traveling with me. Hopefully I’ll meet on in Vero or Vic will finally catch up.

These pictures at the end are of a Personal Observatory seen near New Smyrna, I barge I shared the narrow part of Haul Over Canal with and a fractional picture of the anchorage here -- couldn't take the whole anchorage because it was backlit by the sun. Enjoy..





No comments: