Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Ahh Safe Harbour at Dragon Point


Today was a surprise. The wind built much stronger than forecast.

We left in mild winds from Titusville then as the morning wore on I noticed more and more whitecaps. A couple of times the Wind Machine was showing 27kts then stayed above 20. The waves and white caps just built. Fortunately we were running with them so the ride was not uncomfortable but the steering was stiff with the waves directly behind to quartering on us. It was COLD too but we did not feel it in the full enclosure. Now I didn’t strip down to a T-shirt today but kept the sweatshirt on till we anchored in Dragon Point.

I was concerned with how rough it had become on the Intracoastal and the Banana River where Dragon Point is at the mouth and runs parallel. Through the binoculars I saw white caps all the way to Dragon Point and I thought in Dragon point. However when we got here there was just a mild ripple on the water even though the wind was still strong.

We dropped the hook with plenty of room – only 2 cruisers had beat us in. As I write this 4 more have arrived and are anchoring.

I’ve attached a photo showing the waves on the Indian River breaking on the north-facing causeway of Eau Galie, which the anchorage overlooks. I also show pictures of the peaceful water here at Dragon Point along with some playful dolphins that have been with us since we anchored this afternoon.

Ahhh tomorrow Vero Beach where will hole up for at least a week and spend Thanksgiving there. I’ve never heard of boaters being turned away there but there is a “crap” load headed there this week. I should probably plot an alternative landing just in case tonight.



No comments: