Thursday, November 3, 2016

In the blink of an eye

Ahh today started normally enough. We were getting ready to get underway by turning on the electronics, stowing the paper chart for access, and mounting the IPAD. I was kneeling on a cockpit cushion when suddenly it shifted off the seat taking me with it. Before I hit the floor my chest plowed into the steering wheel. WOW - took my breath away and it hurt. I just rolled over to take stock. breathing didn't hurt, swallowing didn't hurt, but boy using any chest muscles did. Ouch I'm going to be sore awhile.

Trying to break my fall I grabbed the mount for the Ipad and snapped the top off. Well nothing Gorilla glue can't fix. Fortunately the IPAD was not in it yet.

After a few minutes we continued to depart. We were timing to hit the trouble areas of RAMSHORN Creek, Fields Cut, and Elba Cut near high tide. It worked!! We passed through all those areas and saw none of the shoal areas that there were warnings for. Hell with an 8.8' tide I have enough water get over any spot that is DRY at low tide. It's worth the wait.

We made Herb River just about noon and a distance of 20 miles for the day. To go another 15 miles to Hells gate would put us on the following tide and after mid tide so we wait here till tomorrow morning to hit Hells Gate and the Florida Passage at near high tide. A strong cold front is forecast for early tomorrow so this is a great sheltered anchorage if the winds should really pipe up.

Since I had time on my hands I troubleshot my inverter. I tried a power on clear with no affect. I then pulled some panels to look at the unit but could find no external fuses so I gave it a gentle engineers rap to hopefully jar loose any stuck relays. Still no affect. Looks like it will have to be replaced. I don't have the resources here to bench troubleshoot it and no schematic.

The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing my hurting chest and treating the pain with judicious amounts of Yeunling Ale.

I'm going to fix a big ol ribeye steak tonight to aid the healing process and to celebrate not seriously injuring myself today.

Oh it got up to 84 degrees here today. Eat your heart out northerners.

No comments: