Saturday, February 14, 2015

Hubris? Bahamas?Friday the 13th?

Which was it yesterday? We went to Marsh Harbour on Thursday to do some provisioning and get water. I took on 130 gallons! AT 25 cents a gallon it was worth the trip vs 38 cents a gallon in Hopetown. After taking on the water we anchored, had lunch, then went to Maxwells for a big purchase. When we headed over there I stopped at the Corner Value store to inquire about propane -- one of our tanks ran out last week. They said it works just like clock work -- their words. You have the tank there by 9am and it is returned at noon. If you have it there between 9am and 1pm it will be back by 4pm and it was only $25 vs $37 in Hopetown. In Hopetown you have to leave it for several days on a dock before someone comes -- no schedule. I didn't want to leave a $300 aluminum tank laying around for a few days.

Well Friday morning I had a QSO with Bubbles and Skat and Victoria Gaye and I was bragging what a good deal the propane process was in Marsh HArbour. Wow cheaper and no worries about your t ank being stolen.

Friday morning (that's Friday the 13th) I had the tank there by 8:30am. I came back at just before 12pm and it was no where to be seen. I asked.. Ohhh there was a problem with the pump it might be back at 4pm today or tomorrow sometime. Ohh Pooh we wanted to leave that afternoon!!

Ohh well had a nice lunch and then while killing time I took my dinghy motor prop that had spun some weeks ago over to Abaco Props. They said they could re-hub it and they did it while I waited and even let me watch the process. Coool, well at least something was accomplished today.

Back on the boat I cleaned the knot log sender, the seawater strainer on the main engine and tightened the packing log -- it was leaking pretty profusely yesterday.

Well at 3:40pm I went to get my tank. It wasn't ready but they said it would be here shortly. I killed 30 minutes and then it showed up. GREAT..

We were too tired to head out this afternoon so we stayed in Marsh another night planning to go to Man O War for the fair tomorrow.

Good thing we stayed. The wind piped up over night from the West and it would have made anchoring off Man O War real uncomfortable where it was not an issue in Marsh Harbour.

No comments: