Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Go fly a kite!

The weather has been poor for the Abacos these last few weeks. Cold fronts are coming through like clockwork -- every 48 hours. This gives us only one nice day every 2 days. The weather is not terrible but it keeps us from traveling to the many cool Islands we would like to visit. It should change in another week or so. Assessment from Chris Parker.

The temps are fine with the lows in the mid 60s and the highs in low 70s and mostly partly cloudy. Just too much wind to comfortably travel and anchor out. Hopetown is great for these cold front passages. No matter how strong the winds are we can still leave the boats and walk around town and site see or buy provisions or walk the beaches -- and of course -- climb the Lighthouse and go out in the balcony and really feel the strong winds. The view of both Ocean and Sea of Abaco is just spectacular.

Now the weather has been great for kite flying. I have 4 very nice cellular kits and one 30 foot dragon kite. I've been going to the beach to launch and it has been interesting. They fly very stable until they pass over the tree lined dune tops and then it gets scary. I had my Dragon kite up about 150 feet and it was flying fine then suddenly it plunged straight down past the tree tops before it reversed and climbed back. I'm sure it gave some a scare who might have been walking below those trees. I brought it in after that.

The TriStar was the most stable. It just went up and stayed up -- little pull on the line. The rotating Spinbox -- the FLASH is always a great fly and spectacle. It did well but took a few dives toward the ground to scare me. Apparently the wind coming from the sea rides up over the dunes then as I pass the apex there is an occasional strong downdraft

I flew these kites over a three day period and had Jim and Barb from Skat fly with me. It was great fun and a away to turn some lemons into lemonade -- the too strong winds for pleasure boating.

I've been bike riding too. Took a LONG ride Sunday to Sea Spray Marina in Whitesound and passed the Abaco Inn and resort. Wow that is a beautiful place and seemed to be hosting an artist retreat. Seemed like everyone was under a shade tree with easel and brushes and mostly white canvas -- hmm I wonder if it was mostly for show.

No comments: