Friday, November 7, 2014

Consorting with Dummies

Whoo -- last night it got active in the anchorage. A predicted cold front came across but packed more wind then forecast. Naturally it really ramped up about 2am. I didn't sleep well. Because of the strong wind and opposing currents the boats were all over the place. No two boats pointing in the same direction.

This morning just as it got light I could tell I was perpendicular to the current -- not good at all. I went on deck and I was over my anchor rode (it was going behind the boat rather than the boat hanging from it.

I was sure my anchor rode had wrapped the keel -- a very bad thing. The wind was gusting to 25 and the current strong so nothing to do until slack tide. Fortunately about an hour later I checked and I was hanging correctly. Whew I didn't want to have to deal with that. I've had it happen on another boat and helped other folks that had it happen to them -- no fun and high probability of someone getting hurt.

The ladies had all made appointments to get a pedicure today so come hell or high water it was going to happen.

The wind laid down around 11am and we all went to town for a fine seafood lunch at the Marina Restaurant. It was great and we swapped a lot of stories. Afterwards I went back to the boat and the ladies all went to the salon. After about 2 hours I went back to town and walked around a while. I eventually found a park that had memorials to the founding fathers of Amelia Island. I sat on a bench with one of these brass mannequins (dummy). It was in the shade. Boy don't stop moving in Fernandina. I couldn't believe all the strangers that had to come up and make comments about me and "my buddy" e.g. "better keep moving or you will end up like him", "I like your buddy better", "does he talk your ear off?".

Ohh well all in good fun. Karen came back from the pedicure with shiny toes but I was disappointed in that there were no bells on her toes.

It's a beautiful calm night here tonight. Hopefully I'll sleep better.

No comments: