Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The place of shame

Today we traveled from Awendaw Creek to Dewees Creek -- Long Creek, about 22 miles.

We got a late start at 10:30am because of pea soup fog this morning. Really surprising since last night I was on deck at 12 midnight and 2am for an anchor check and the sky was absolutely clear. No light pollution in Awendaw Creek. It was great to finally discern the milky way again.

We traveled on the rising tide and hit Dewees just after high tide. Good thing. That Red marker 108 is where I ran aground back in 2009. Hell everyone does it but it was the only grounding I had in that 8 month trip to the Bahamas and back -- my place of shame.

Well I had 14 feet crossing near there today.

The anchorage in Long Creek is quite large but deep water. Low tide at 23' and high tide near 29 but the holding is good and the anchor set instantly.

This is just another great weather day in a long string of days -- I guess it ends this Saturday with the first big Arctic blast of the season. We should be tied up in the City Docks of Charleston for that. Time to re-provision and do laundry.

In the meantime we will just kill a couple of days here -- costs nothing.

We are anchored with SKAT and BUBBLES and should be playing some Mexican Train tonight ... I don't think they want me to play Farkle again just yet.

No comments: