Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Flipped Out

Another fine day at Cape Lookout.

It was down right hot on the coast at mid nineties but the high here was only 86 degrees -- 84 yesterday.

A nice 10 - 12 kt wind all day.

We made a few trips to the beach but nothing of real interest there -- just a fine feeling of being on the beach and walking barefoot in the surf.

Back on the boat I wanted to scrub the underside of the hull. However I broke one strap on one fin yesterday and my replacement strap does not fit... Grrr it was for my old fins.

I tried to force it to fit and it looked like it would work then would release. Then the strap on the other fin broke. I tried to scrub with no fins but that didn't work -- kept pushing away from the hull. Grrrr..

another incident of not following through with replacements in a timely manner. I knew the straps were cracked but didn't replace them.. Now I miss this great opportunity to scrub the boat in clean water.

The rest of the afternoon was spent reading and relaxing and practicing my knots. When we went to the beach I threw out the grappling anchor and as I walked away I noticed the bowline was coming undone!!! Eeeek.

I knew that knot didn't do well when wet but this ????

I practiced a new knot to me to use next time on that little anchor -- it is called a buntline. Works in wet and slimy conditions.. Just what the doctor ordered,

Well rain and storms on tap for tonight and I promised Karen I would run the AC for her. We powered up the GENSET at 8pm -- so the other boats wouldn't notice the cooling water coming from the boat -- and hopefully will run it all night. Right now it is Coool down below. First time I've had a T-shirt on all day.. I might need covers to sleep in tonight..

Eat your hearts out my cruising friends..

No comments: