Thursday, October 8, 2009

Another fine day in Ocracoke

Boy it did get windy last night... Glad I was at the dock. The strongest winds occurred between 6am and 9am.

We had a nice easy day. Wandered around the lake looked at the rough water in the sound, checked out the new "digs" of the welcome center here -- very nice but leaves another abandoned building (the old welcome center). Watched the ferries come and go and watched the tourists shoot their pictures and wander around.

LAte morning we went to the Preservation Society Museum with Craig and Dovie and had a nice time looking over the exhibits. Naturally Craig and I were taken with the photos of the "Beach Jumper" Navy photos -- all that cool old electronic equipment and the discussion of the psychological war fare they presented. All practiced here because of the relative isolation -- not anymore!!

After lunch -- and a stolen nap -- we went to the lighthouse and took a few pictures. Way cool because now they allow you to enter the lighthouse and look up the circular staircase.

LAte afternoon Craig and I had a nice visit with Mark from Liahona -- a 60 foot motor sailor.

HAd a light dinner then ended the day with some games of Farkle and Mexican Train Dominoes which I must admit -- I DOMINATED!! Didn't win all the games but most. I'm sure I'm cursed to never win again after writing this.

The day ended with light winds. Fitting... Forecast was 15 - 20 all day and night and 40% chance of rain and storms.

Saw no rain or storm and the winds laid down by evening.

I feel like Charley Brown kicking the football with Lucy holding when I listen to the NWS weather forecasts.

No comments: