Sunday, October 4, 2009

Anchored in Silver Lake

NICE DAY... Wasn't perfect but very nice.

We had a comfortable night on the hook in South River and got away on time this morning from South River to Ocracoke. The only complaint was the anchor mud. I have never seen it so thick and tenacious as it was this morning. It took 20 minutes to get the hook up and still I had a muddy mess.

I was trying to activate the route I had built for this leg and inadvertently deleted it!! Damn... Fat fingers!! Next time I'll put the routes in TWICE..

It is difficult to load routes into the Garmin. Requires changing the interface to Garmin/Garmin and then have to reboot the PC to get NMEA back.

I just wrote down the waypoints I had used in my first trip to Ocracoke in 19996 and used those. They still good -- got here!! I use EASY GPS to manage the waypoints and it works great..

It was a fast motor sail averaging 6.3 knots. Got stuck with the ferry coming in Big Foot Slew and he pushed me to the edge ... Then just as we were to enter Silver Lake here comes the Swan Quarter Ferry out!! I turned tail and waited on him.

The anchorage was nearly empty.; Two small boats on anchor and no one on them. We anchored. Bubbles took a slip at the PArk Service docks -- they were nearly empty too.

Tonight it is showers aboard and off to find a Restaurant meal. Then a night of Mexican train on Bubbles.

We played Farkle last night and that was fun but we quit early since Craig and I were very tired. He scuba dived on Bubbles and I snorkeled dived on Temptation. Temptation didn't need much -- pretty clean.

I did stay up for awhile to enjoy the nearly full moon last night in South River. It was glorious -- clear and cool but still an annoying mosquito or two.

Tonight hopefully it will be clear here in Silver Lake for the REAL Full Moon night.

Time to shave and head for dinner!!

No comments: