Tuesday, April 14, 2009

WOW -- What a wind GUST!!



Ohhh what a night!! It has been a long time since I have felt the grip of a 70 mile an hour wind gust. I felt it several times last night!!

It started about 11pm. Just sleeping comfortable and suddenly I was awakened by a violent jerk and roll from the boat and Karen rolled on top me. That was the first gust and it was long duration. The boat turned into the wind and righted itself and I got up and stuck my head in to the cockpit. Even with the full enclosure the wind driven rain was getting in. The wind and rain was so thick that I could see no lights on the boats around us. I could see nothing. Just feel the pull of the boat on the anchor and hoping it was not dragging. This went on for about 20 minutes then settled down after 30 minutes. Boy I hope that doesn’t happen again. Fortunately the night remained calm after that.

This morning the weather forecast had changed and they had a lake wind advisory again today from 11am to 1pm. Then around 8am another thunderstorm came in with strong winds but not 70kts. Unfortunately it never stopped. It blew hard and long with lots of rain for nearly 4 hours. There were occasional gusts to 50 but a steady 25 – 30kts for 4 hours.

I was turning the wind generator on and off to keep from overheating it when suddenly we heard the roar of an airplane propeller. I missed my timing and the wind generator had gone into free run mode and was screaming but not generating any power. I waited for a lull in rain and wind and then went and grabbed the control lines and feathered it so I could put a tether on the blade. I hate that sound. Supposedly it does not hurt it but amongst all the other high wind sounds it is best to avoid.

Our anchor held. Then around 10am we heard a mayday go out from the sailing yacht Brilliant. They were on a mooring near Jacksonville naval air station and it parted. They dropped an anchor but were blowing towards rocks. They called Coast Guard. They sent a helo to investigate!! The yacht skipper said he had 300 feet of chain out and was still blowing towards the rocks. He said once the boat grounded they would get off and walk ashore. Ohhh depressing. We heard later that 7 boats near that area had blown aground. I should have went into the marina yesterday!!

The winds and rain finally died down around noon and it was quite pleasant till about 1:30pm when the wind came back 20+ kts. They have another lake wind advisory till 7pm tonight.

Fortunately tomorrow looks quite mild as well as the next few days. We will get an early start and make Fernandina tomorrow.

I thought about moving on this afternoon but my anchor has been so well tested here (in the middle of nowhere as Karen likes to call Pine Island) that we will remain for tonight. A couple of boats have come in this afternoon so it should not be too lonely tonight. Gosh I wonder how the anchored boats in St Augustine faired last night and today?? Glad I left..

Enjoy some pics from Pine Island – this place grows on you after awhile then again Karen says it doesn’t.

No comments: