Saturday, January 10, 2009

In the blink of an eye!!

Boy life comes at you fast some days…

The day started nice enough but then the weather forecast was not to my liking for anchoring off of Tahiti Beach tonight. It is rather exposed and there was now more wind than originally forecast now forecast and the direction bothered me. That and I wanted to fuel and water up on the way out and the moderate wind we already had would have been aft of me going in and leaving the fuel dock -- there was a large Trimaran moored to one end of the dock and not moving.

Thus change of plans. Stay today, do maintenance, and go to town for a little shopping – I really wanted to find a couple of Bahamian story books. The story about a young school teacher from England and comes here to teach at Nassau but instead ends up in the Crooked Island, and the story of the Out Island Doctor and his “castle” here in Marsh Harbour.

Well I rearranged the V-berth storage, changed the oil in the generator motor, and played with a special bridle to stop the boat dance on anchor – didn’t work too well. So far the Riding Sail works best but not sure how it will perform in strong wind.

After lunch we were getting ready to go to town and I was descending the cabin ladder when I stepped off too soon . I twisted my knee and went right down to the floor on my back – carefully protecting my head -- but skinned my arms and one arm came down across the table and smashed Karen’s sunglasses. I ended up nearly in her lap and she let out a scream.

Fortunately I’m still flexible and didn’t break anything but I am becoming sore as the day goes on.

We went to town and I guess maybe we never shopped here on a Saturday before but just about every store closes at noon on Saturday. Just Liquor, bakery, and grocery open. We bought a few cookies from the bakery.

Back on the boat the rest of the afternoon was spent reading and trying to warm up in the sunlight. There is a moderate breeze blowing 12 – 15 kts and the wind chill is in the mid 60s.

Ohhh well could be worse I guess.

It is also getting lonely here. There were 43 or more boats here when we arrived but now there is maybe 25. The harbour is opening up.

No plans for tomorrow yet – just looking forward to nice quiet evening under the VERY BRIGHT full moon and I’ll lick my bruises with a little help from Ron Rico.

No comments: