Sunday, December 21, 2008

First Full day in the BAHAMAS!!! G R E A T!!

Welcome to the Bahamas!!! Ohh it was a great night on the hook. When I went to bed I don't remember my head even hitting the pillow - I was asleep instantly. This morning - what a sweet sound the crowing of a rooster in the distance was.

HEY - today is the first day of winter and the high here was 75 degrees and the low 70 degrees -- eat your hearts out!! Sorry just couldn't resist that tidbit.

After dropping the hook and trying to check in with customs we went to Pineapples for a drink to celebrate our arrival with the rest of the flotilla. I had hurriedly prepared the dink and did not install my bag with lights and stuff in it - more on that later.

It was happy hour so we all had a round or two of rum punches and some fried grouper fingers - they have some really HOT hot sauce - I need to find the brand - couldn't read the label in the dark. I think it was because of the dark.

After awhile we all left and headed back the boats. I looked out at the anchorage of about 7 boats and I told Karen - I don't know which one is ours and I don't really care - she said ditto.. I guess the rum punches here are 99% rum and 1% punch.

Well we did find Temptation and that was good.

Today we listened to the familiar cruisers net on VHF 68 at 8am and the BASRA weather net at 7am. Going to be a rip snorting cold front coming in tonight. We then took the dink and sounded out the channel into white sound near low tide. The shallowest I found was 5' 3". That is what I draw so I said we would wait an hour then enter the sound. We checked out the anchorage and there was plenty of room to anchor but a lot of boats are expected today. I checked out the specials on dockage at Green
Turtle Club and Bluff House Marina and decided on the Bluff House but not for their fuel. They were charging $6.75 a gallon for diesel while it was $3.48 at the Green Turtle Club.

After a late morning snack we entered White Sound and went to the Bluff House Marina that currently had 2 boats at the dock. They put me on the end T-dock which was cool but the lady dock master missed tied a bow line and while throwing the stern line the bow line pulled off the piling and the wind was blowing us away from the dock - not cool but nothing hurt.

A lot of our cruising friends made fun of us being the only sail boat at the dock but we will see who laughs tonight when the wind pipes up to 25kts with gusts to 30 tomorrow. Especially now that late today several very large sailboats came in and anchored in this crowded anchorage with a reputation of marginal holding. Note that 3 other sail boats came in late to the dock 2 from New Bern and one from Beaufort, NC. One is called Flash II and the other is Margarita and the third >??

Well the deal here at the dock is anything that we spend in the Bar/restaurant will be subtracted from the dockage charge so we need to go to dinner tonight and eat today's dockage fee. Karen points out at the price of food here this is probably a good deal.. I think it is a good deal in that I won't be on anchor watch tonight when that cold front comes through.

2 comments:

Chappell said...

Eat your Dockage Fee....now that is a plan!

Stay there too long and you might need a bigger dinghy when you finally leave the dock!

catsmeow said...

Not bad here either. We are 2 degrees above zero with a windchill of 20 below. It's a heatwave compared to yesterday. They are calling for 6 to 12 inches of snow on Tuesday into Wednesday. Not sure where it will go since the snow on the ground is almost to the top of my mailbox.

Eat your heart out.