Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cruising is not always a bed of Roses

Cruising is great but there are times that challenge you. Most of the time those challenges are around anchoring situations. Either you are worried your anchor won’t hold or someone near by anchor won’t hold. Reasons for not holding are many fold – some you control – some you don’t.

Last night just before bedtime the wind picked up to 20 kts. It blew between 20 –25 with frequent gusts to 30kts for about 6 hours. The boat was right in the center of the fetch. It wasn’t too uncomfortable but with the boat swinging to one side then the other side of the anchor there were shock loads on it. I got up several times and did not see anything amiss. Then this morning when the sun came up I saw where I was a bit closer to the boat directly behind me – yesterday when we dropped the hook I was about 150 feet from the bow of that boat. This morning I was about 90 feet or about 20 yds closer. I use a handheld range finder to measure these distances.

Now it was decision time?? Do I just set another anchor?? Has the first anchor really dug in strong?? I’m too close to increase scope -- I had 80 feet out in 15 feet of water which is a bit short..

The wind was strong and I didn’t want to set the second anchor from the dinghy. I thought about it awhile then fortunately a sailboat left the anchorage. Ohhh he had a nice spot. We pulled anchor fairly quickly and repositioned over that spot. I now have 120 feet of chain down in 14 feet of water.

This is a concern because the winds are forecast to go to 20 – 25 after midnight tonight and maybe 30 knots tomorrow and numerous thunderstorms as the latest cold front passes through. Thus it is not all fun and games and here I worry about tonight but I have more room to work with now. Unfortunately the strong winds yesterday and today have given Karen the impression that this is not a good anchorage. But when it goes lighter on Friday maybe she will change her mind. At any rate there will be no Bahamas crossing for at least a week.

Today was okay. I went to my favorite Chinese Buffet near the anchorage and the food was good but it was not very crowded. Afterwards we walked past all the shops in this rather new mall and were aghast to see most of the spaces were empty!! Probably only 6 shops here out of maybe 50.. Looks like the economy is not all roses here in West Palm Beach.. Gosh I wonder how long this Chinese Buffet will remain??

Now on the plus side today I heard from my ol cruising buddy Ralph Chapman aboard Luna C formerly of Matthews Point Marina. He has located in the Wilmington (NC) maritime center and is thoroughly enjoying himself. He has some ambitious cruising plans for this winter and is planning on having some great fun. If anyone needs his email here it is: captrechappell@yahoo.com

With the weather forecast being so “not so good” for tonight and tomorrow we stowed the dinghy and the motor. In all that wind last night it kept banging into the stern of the boat making noise and the ladder made a lot of noise too. So all that is put away for this storm a coming and I’ve got more chain out and 2 snubber lines on instead of one. We still swing to either side of the wind. I think we need to make a riding sail for the anchorage. This is good practice for the Bahamas where these conditions can be expected once or twice a week in the winter.

Hey anyone know of any good anchor watch software that works with the GPS??? I think it will be a long night tonight.

No comments: