Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Just trying to GET THROUGH GEORGIA!!



Today we had to face the WORST water areas in Georgia. We had to delay our departure this morning to nearly 8am to have sufficient water depth to cross the Little Mud River – MLLW it is only 4 feet!! Then Dolby sound, Altamaha Sound, Buttermilk Sound.

We did well and never bumped today but it was an anxious time till around 11am where the tide was up enough to accommodate the rest of the trouble areas.

The only problem today was some clueless idiot on a large motor boat called DIRECTOR. We heard him coming up astern calling to the sailboats behind us. “Sailboat I’m coming up on I will pass you on your starboard or port side.” I was just into the fairway of the high rise bridge just as you enter St Simon’s Island. He hailed me and said he would pass me to starboard. I responded that I was already at the approach of the bridge and he should pass after I get through. The dumb ass just comes and is trying to pass me in the fairway of the bridge!! I tell him to back off on the radio!! No response. I grab the Hailer and turn it up -- “Hey DIRECTOR -- no radio???” Ohh to see him jerk upright and drop his mic and swivel his head was worth every penny of that loud speaker. He was still clueless though. He called back excitedly “What’s the problem”. No response from me – Karen was becoming uncomfortable.

We checked out the anchorage at Jekyll Island and it looked okay but it was only 1:30pm. We pushed on and put the worst of the sounds behind us – St Andrews – worst because you actually enter the ocean to get around the shoal area and there was a significant swell running from the storm a few days ago.

Brickhill River is a great anchorage and just 20 miles from Fernandina,. FL – Florida finally tomorrow…

Just through in a couple of pictures from the St Simon’s Island area. Enjoy.

No comments: