Sunday, November 2, 2008

At Thunderbolt Marina -- waiting weather passage


We battened down the hatches here in Thunderbolt, GA for a predicted severe low pressure that will form off the coast tonight and bring rain and storms tomorrow into Tuesday.

Today has so far been quite nice. We arrived about 10am this morning more or less. I forgot about reverting to standard time. It was only this morning around 7:45am that I knew something was up. I couldn’t hear anyone on the WRCC Net!! I didn’t think propagation was that bad. Then I picked up my cell phone and the time was 6:52 am. Ohhh yeah – fall back an hour -- me bad.

The Thunderbolt marina is nice but nothing is convenient to it. No food stores within 1.5 miles. The reported bus – well the bus stop is a half mile away.

I tried calling the 3 rental car firms here in Savannah and 2 were closed (Enterprise and Economy) and Budget would not pick us up at the marina. For one day I wasn’t going to pay for cab and a rental!! Sundays are very quiet here.

I then undertook a small project to cut some webbing strap bands and install DOT fasteners to it so we can lock the side enclosures up in various attitudes to give ventilation in various wind conditions. Not a difficult project but each fastener had to be measured twice

Ohhh well maybe we will rent a car tomorrow if the weather is not as bad as predicted. If it lingers into Tuesday then we may still be here then and take the car.

The facilities are first rate here. Showers and Laundry facilities are excellent.

This marina is all part of a huge service facility. Look at some of those boats they had pulled out of the water – Mammoth!! Another picture of Temptation at the dock once again surrounded by unbelievable wealth -- boy I’ll feel more comfortable in Florida when we flock with boats more our size or smaller..

And a teaser picture for my Good friend Craig.

Maybe you can get one of those for your boat Craig.

Should be an interesting evening as it gets dark so early now – what 5:30pm?? It will be hard to stay up till Cruiser’s midnight now – 9pm.

Ohhh yes – they do have a nice book exchange here and I found some Clive Cussler I haven’t read yet so I’m set for a couple of days now.



No comments: