Thursday, October 30, 2008

Tourista for a day and mobile target


We did some foraging for food and the Touritsta thing today. I’ve never taken a formal tour of Beaufort, SC so this afternoon I plucked down the ol credit card and we mounted up on a horse drawn carriage and did the town. Very interesting listening to the history and stories about the old homes here. Most stories were around the civil war but a few predated it.

The most interesting things to me where the ancient oak trees. They have some here that university experts say are more than 1000 years old. Then there is the “angel oak” which I attached a picture of – very interesting and reputed to have healing powers.

It was enjoyable and the weather nearly perfect except still a bit cool in the low 60s with a nice breeze running. And Oh yes – at 40 degrees this morning the batteries needed charging and I just as well run both heat pumps off the genset.. Toasty in 20 minutes or less!!

Foraging for food?? I just unfolded my folding bicycle and took off for a Piggly Wiggly at the edge of town. Simple fair but palatable – really didn’t need much but the produce was going bad and needed fresh replacement. The only detraction is trying to ride a bicycle in traffic here. These here folks have NO respect for a bicycliston . You need to be double alert and anticipate bone headed maneuvers by the drivers. They act like they are spooked when a bicycle is coming, and rather than wait will dart or turn at the last minute!!

I was going to ride to the other side of town but then I was “spooked” by the time I got back to the Marina.

Not sure about tomorrow. Decisions decisions. May stay another day may leave for Herb River anchorage in Georgia.

I’ll consult the mermaid tonight.

1 comment:

catsmeow said...

I hope you are wearing a bicycle helmut - concerned sister.