Tuesday, August 12, 2008

That Maxi Prop is a MARVEL

I took the Maxi Prop home to work on it. It looked pretty bad with years of different bottom paints and coatings on it. The fasteners had been abused but I was able to get it apart. I then tried just a bench mount wire brush but it only polished the bottom paint. I then used a small orbital finish sander and 100 grit sandpaper and removed the paint. I then dressed it with the wire brush to give a burnished look.

Look at 2 blades -- Before and after:


I processed all the other painted part and it all looked very good afterwards.

Look at the collection of parts awaiting reassembly:


Now I just need to wait for the replacement fasteners. The PYI Web site has a screw kit with all the fasteners and cotter pins used in the prop. I ordered the set.

That is all the work to be done here at home. Need to wait for the weekend and tackle the prop shaft again. I have the longish fasteners I'll need to press it out with.

No comments: