Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Still Here!!

Yep - still at the Fort Pierce City Marina. Sorry for the long delay since last blog.

I needed time to sort out our new direction since our plan to leave the boat at Brunswick Landing fell through and my desire to not move the boat north along the ICW through Georgia and Southern South Carolina.

I had to investigate several options which all take time because requests for information in the marine industry is a slow slow process. Phone calls not returned for days, emails not responded to for days if at all, etc.

I investigated getting the boat hauled out till the fall here but all the yards are already full. I wanted to see what that would do to my insurance but still no response. I could leave the boat here at the marina till October 1st but I am uncomfortable leaving the boat here during hurricane season. This marina did fine last year with hurricane Matthew and no boats here suffered damage. This marina is very well built (rebuilt in 2014 to FEMA standards).

We decided to take the boat back to North Carolina. Karen is not aboard right now because of the grueling heat and humidity. I don't really want to travel alone in this big ol boat but could if need be. I investigated hiring a delivery captain and of those that responded all were busy till mid July. The prices ranged from $200 a day to $550 a day with an extra crew at 100 - 150 a day plus food and provision and all travel expenses. On a trip that could take between 4 days and 14 days that could get very expensive.

Fortunately I reached out to old cruising friends Jill and Wayne from the Born to Cruise sailboat and they said they could help out. Thank You! It will be fun running up the east coast with friends. They too are not available until the second week of July so here I stay entertaining myself by doing all kinds of odd jobs on the sailboat.

Changed the main engine oil and filter, washed entire boat (free water here)and then waxed both top sides and hull. That took a few days because the sun is just too intense from 11am till 4pm. Lots of other miscellaneous stuff done too. Started cleaning and greasing the winches yesterday. No end to little jobs in site so I'm not bored.

There is also a good book exchange here so if I do run out of work then I have a lot to read.

No comments: